Poetry Out Loud
What is Poetry Out Loud?
Presented by the National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation, Poetry Out Loud is a national arts education program that encourages the study of great poetry by offering free educational materials and a dynamic recitation competition for high school students across the country.
- Introduces students to classic and contemporary poetry
- Encourages students to learn about literary history and contemporary life
- Helps students master public speaking skills and build self-confidence
Georgia Schools: How to Get Involved
The Alliance Theatre is thrilled to administer Poetry Out Loud for the state of Georgia in partnership with the National Endowment for the Arts, the Poetry Foundation, and Georgia Council for the Arts.
Online registration for the 2022-23 program closed on December 16, 2022.
Program Structure, Dates, and Deadlines
- Online registration by Friday, December 16, 2022
- Local contests by Friday, January 20, 2023
- Each school selects one student winner to participate in the Regional and/or State contests
- Virtual Town Hall regarding Regional contests on Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 2 PM EST
- Regional contest(s): February 2023
- Metro Atlanta: Friday, February 17, 2023 at the Alliance Theatre at 4 PM EST
- South Georgia: Saturday, February 18, 2023 at Telfair Center for the Arts in McRae, GA at 2 PM EST
- North Georgia: Saturday, February 25, 2023 at Gilmer Arts Center & Playhouse in Elijay, GA at 2 PM EST
- Student Workshop: Preparation for State contest
- Virtual option: Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 4 PM EST; or
- In-person option: Saturday, March 11, 2023 at the Alliance Theatre at 10 AM EST
- State contest: March 14, 2023 at the Alliance Theatre at 4PM EST
- National contest: Monday, May 8 - Wednesday, May 10, 2023 in Washington DC (details to be announced)
Reserve Tickets for State Finals
In the News
- Find poems, audio and video clips, lesson plans, contest resources, and more at: poetryoutloud.org
- The Poetry Out Loud YouTube channel also features examples and techniques
Poetry Out Loud is a partnership of the National Endowment for the Arts, the Poetry Foundation, and the State and Jurisdictional Arts Agencies of the United States.